Kollam is a city in Kerala in India where SONA Travels to takes you to the place.
Kollam SONA Travels is a city , a municipal corporation and headquarters of Kollam District in the Indian state of Kerala. Kollam is the fourth largest city of kerala after Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode . and is famous for cashew processing and coir manufacturing. Kollam District is named after this city. It lies 71 Kilometres north of the state capital Thiruvanathapuram (Trivandrum). The city lies on the shores of Ashtamudi Lake and is the southern gateway to the backwaters of Kerala, and thus, a prominent tourist destination.
Kollam was formerly called "Desinganadu" and even before its was known as Tarsish(Koreki ni-(sea pointed inland or a creek)Kollam). Later during the rule of the Travancore kingdom in southern Kerala, Kollam was the focal point of trade. Kollam, a Municipal Corporation is a major business and commercial centre in the central Travencore region of Kerala. Kollam Cargo port has been revived and expected to provide a bright future for the city.
Places to visit in Kollam is-
1) In Kollam, Thangasseri - This seaside village of historic importance has the ruins of an old portuguese fort and churches built in the 18 century. The Thangasseri Lighthouse which is 144 feet hight, is open to visitors from 1530 = 1730 hrs.Thirumullavaram Beach - Kerala
2) In Kollam, Thirumullavaram beach - 6 kms north of kollam this secluded beach is a beautiful picnic centre.
3) In kollam, Mayyand - 10 kms south of kollam mayyanad is noted for its shrines and temples. The most important of the nine temples here is the subramanya temple at umayanallor.
4) In Kollam, Alumkadavu, (26 km from Kollam). Scenic place, with blue green stretches back water, coconut palms, back water cruise, house boats, Ayurvedic treatment centers.
5) Amritapuri Asramam, . A Hindu pilgrim center for worshipers of Mata Amritanandamayi Devi.
6) Aryankavu, (73 km east of Kollam). Pilgrim center, old trade route for merchants from either sides of western Ghats, famous for shrine of Lord Sastha, fine sculptures and mural paintings.
7) In Kollam, Chavara, (14 km north of Kollam on NH47). Famous for the mineral sand and place of Catholic saint Sister Alphonsa.
8) In Kollam, Karunagappally, (27 km north of Kollam in NH47). Old military station of Kayamkulam Rajas.
9) In Kollam, Kottarakkara, (27 km northeast of Kollam). Erstwhile capital of Elayadathu Swarupam, a ruling family. Famous for Kath Kali (a dance drama).
10) In Kollam, , Kundara. A prominent place in Kollam famous for industries.
11) In Kollam, , Mayyanad, (10 km south of Kollam). Famous for its shrines and temples.
12) In Kollam, , Mannadi, (24 km east of Kollam). Famous as the place where Veluthampi Dalawa laid down his life.
13) In Kollam, , Neendakara (Long Shore), (8 km north of Kollam). Famous for its fisheries industries.
14) In Kollam, , Oachira, (32 km north of Kollam in NH47). Famous temple, a unique pilgrim center and handicraft center.
15) In Kollam, Paravur, (13 km south of Kollam). Famous for coir production center and fishing.
16) In Kollam, Sasthamcotta, (19 km from Kollam). Biggest freshwater lake in Kerala.
17) In Kollam, Thangassery, (5 km away from Kollam). Place of historical importance, with old 18th century churches, light house and remnants of Portuguese and Dutch forts.
18) In Kollam, Thenmala, 66 km east of Kollam (on the way to Shencottah, it is also reachable from [[Trivandrum]]). Dam site with dense forest is famous for eco tourism
19) In Kollam, Kalayapuram, (34 km from Kollam, on the way to Kottayam from Kottarakara). It is believed that old Kalayan royal family were ruled from this place, hence the name Kalayapuram.
SONA Travels takes you to the Kollam and makes the journey comfortable.
SONA Travels takes you to the Palarivattom is a place in the city of Cochin in Ernakulam district in the state of Kerala, India. It is an important commercial area. The place gained importance when The District Collectorate was shifted to Kakkanad. The location was so underdeveloped at the time shoppers had to go to Ernakulam for goods.
Palarivattom St. George Orthodox Valiyapally is situated at Palarivattom Junction in Cochin, near the IT hub of Kerala. The foundation Stone was laid in 1986 and consecrated in 1987 as a chapel of St Mary's Orthodox Cathedral, Ernakulam, with 145 members. On 1st April 1991 the church was declared as an independent parish. In 17 years the church had commendable growth in all activities and presently having 685 members. The church has been elevated as "Valiyapally" on 9th March, 2008.
There are several notable Temples, churches, and mosques in the area. The older of the temples is Raja Rajeswary Temple where the presiding deity is Jala Durga.It so happens there will always be a drizzle at the pakalpuram during the festival. The newer but more popular temple is Hari Hara Sudha Temple where as the name goes the presiding deity is Lord Ayyappa. Maha Ganapathy,Mahadeva,sree Parvathy, Lord Muruga,Hanuman,Navagraha and Nagaraja also are present in the temple There is a charming life size statue of Sree Narayana Guru in the compound. Another important center is the old Church of St John The Baptist which is located away from the main commercial hub. The nearest bus stop of the church is pallinada. The church has a wast compound and a good auditorium. St Martin de Porus church in the mainroad was recently renovated and has become an important landmark of Palarivattom. The new Mosque on the mainroad is unique in that women are allowed in for Namaskaram.
The prestigious Cochin Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium is on the border of Palarivattom. Actually the stadium is in palarivattom not in Kaloor.
Palarivattom is notorious for its traffic bottlenecks. The Cochin bypass road and Palarivattom Junction have to be crossed to reach town.
There is a Government run Yatrinivas for tourists. A major hotel is Hotel Renaissance on NH 47 and another major hotel is Alappat Residency on the MKK Nayar road are other places to stay.
The most important local roads are North Janatha and South Janatha roads.
The above and the beautiful places can be visited through SONA Travels.